- Ph.D. in Economics, University of Pittsburgh, 2008.
- M.Sc. in Economics, University of Barcelona, Spain, June 2002.
- B.S. Industrial Engineering with Honors, University of Valparaiso, Chile, 1999.
- B.A. Business Administration with Honors, University of Valparaiso, Chile, 1999.
Environmental Economics, Game Theory and Industrial Organization.
- Associate Professor, School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University, August 2014-
- Visitor, University of Barcelona, School of Economics. January – May 2017.
- Assistant Professor, School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University, August 2009-2014
- Visitor, University of California, Berkeley, April 2010.
- Visiting Professor, University of Granada, Spain, Summer 2009.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, School of Economic Sciences, WSU, 2008-2009.
- Researcher, Barcelona Economics Institute (IEB), Spain, 2001-2002.
- Bayham, J., F. Munoz-Garcia and A. Espinola-Arredondo. International Coordination of Environmental Policies: Is it Always Worth the Effort? Forthcoming Environment and Development Economics.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A., F. Munoz-Garcia and B. Liu. Strategic Emission Fees: Using Green Technology to Deter Entry Forthcoming Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade.
- Conservation Procurement Auctions with Bidirectional Externalities. Choi, P., A. Espinola-Arredondo and F. Munoz-Garcia. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management. 2018, 92 , pp. 559-579.
- Strandholm, J., A. Espinola-Arredondo and F. Munoz-Garcia. Regulation, Free-Riding Incentives, and R&D investment with Spillover. Resource and Energy Economics. 2018, 53, pp. 133-146.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A. F. Munoz-Garcia and P. Tantihkarnchana. Information Transmission During the Trial: The Role of Punitive Damages and Legal Costs. Journal of Public Economic Theory. 2018, 20(2), pp. 136-155.
- Zaikin, A., A. Espinola-Arredondo and A. Prera. Water Allocation Strategies: Experimental Evidence from Uzbekistan. Journal of Water Resource and Protection. 2018, 10, pp. 20-40.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A. and F. Munoz-Garcia. Profit-Enhancing Environmental Policy: Uninformed Regulation in an Entry-Deterrence Model. Journal of Regulatory Economics. 2016, 50(2), pp. 146-163.
- Tongzhe Li, Espinola-Arredondo, A. and Jill McCluskey. Promoting Residential Recycling: An Alternative Policy Based on a Recycling Reward System. Games. 2016, 7(3), pp. 1-18.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A. and F. Munoz-Garcia. An Excessive Development of Green Products? Economics of Governance. 2016, 17(2), pp. 101-129.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A. and F. Munoz-Garcia. Can Poorly Informed Regulators Hinder Competition? Environmental and Resource Economics. 2015, 61(3), pp. 433-461.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A. and F. Munoz-Garcia. Why do Firms Oppose Entry-Deterring Regulation? Environmental Regulation and Entry Deterrence. Environment and Development Economics. 2015, 20(2), pp.141-160.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A. and F. Munoz-Garcia. The Signaling Role of Subsidies. The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy. 2015, 15(1), pp. 157-178.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A., Munoz-Garcia, F. and J. Bayham. The Entry-Deterring Effects of Inflexible Regulation. Canadian Journal of Economics, 2014, 47(1), pp. 298-324.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A. and F. Munoz-Garcia. Asymmetric Information May Protect the Commons: The Welfare Benefits of Uninformed Regulators. Economics Letters, 2013, 121(3), pp. 463-467.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A. and F. Munoz-Garcia. Don’t Forget to Protect Abundant Resources. Strategic Behavior and the Environment, 2013, 3(4), pp. 251-278.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A. and F. Munoz-Garcia. When does Environmental Regulation Facilitate Entry-Deterring Practices? Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 2013, 65(1), pp. 133-152.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A. and F. Munoz-Garcia. Uncovering Entry Deterrence in the Presence of Learning-by-Doing. Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, 2013, 13(3), pp. 319-338.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A. and F. Munoz-Garcia. The Entry-Deterring Effects of Environmental Policy. Review of Environment, Energy and Economics (Re3), January 10, 2013.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A. and H. Zhao. Environmental Policy in a Linear City Model of Product Differentiation. Environment and Development Economics, 2012, 17(4), pp. 461-47.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A. and F. Munoz-Garcia. When do Firms Support Environmental Agreements? Journal of Regulatory Economics, 2012, 41(3), pp. 380-401.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A. and F. Munoz-Garcia. Can incomplete information lead to under-exploitation in the commons? Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 2011, 62(3), pp. 402-413.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A., E. Gal-Or and F. Munoz-Garcia. When should a firm expand its business? The Signaling Implications of Business Expansion. International Journal of Industrial Organization, 2011, 29(6), pp. 729-745.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A. and F. Munoz-Garcia. Free-riding in International Environmental Agreements: A Signaling Approach to Non-Enforceable Treaties. Journal of Theoretical Politics, 2011, 23(1), pp. 111-134.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A. and F. Munoz-Garcia. The Intuitive and Divinity Criterion: Interpretation and Step-by-Step Examples. Journal of Industrial Organization Education, 2010, 5(1), Article 7.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A. Free-riding and cooperation in environmental games. Journal of Public Economic Theory, 2009, 11(1), pp. 119-158.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A., Yoder, J. and P. Wandschneider. Biofuel policy for the pursuit of multiple goals: The case of Washington State. Western Economics Forum, 2009, 8 (1), pp. 1-9.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A. Green Auctions: a biodiversity study of mechanism design with externalities, Ecological Economics, 2008, 67(2), pp. 175-183.
BOOKS AND BOOK CHAPTERS
- Espinola-Arredondo, A. and F. Munoz-Garcia. “Intermediate Economic Theory: Tools and Step-by-Step Examples.” The MIT Press, Forthcoming Spring 2020.
- Dunaway, E., Strandholm, J., Espinola-Arredondo, A. and F. Munoz-Garcia. “Practice Exercises for Intermediate Economic Theory.” The MIT Press, Forthcoming Spring 2020.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A. and F. Munoz-Garcia. Editors of the volume dedicated to “Game Theory,” in the WSCP reference of natural resources and environmental policy in the era of global change, World Scientific Publishing Company (WSPC)/Imperial College Press (IPC). October 2016.
- Espinola-Arredondo, A. and F. Munoz-Garcia “Environmental Negotiations under Uncertainty,” in the Analyzing Global Environmental Issues: Theoretical and Experimental Applications and their Policy Implications, Ariel Dinar and Amnon Rapoport, eds. Routledge. February 14th, 2013, pp. 53-68.
- F. Munoz-Garcia and Espinola-Arredondo. “The Role of Information in the Tragedy of the Commons,” in the Analyzing Global Environmental Issues: Theoretical and Experimental Applications and their Policy Implications, Ariel Dinar and Amnon Rapoport, eds. Routledge. February 14th, 2013, pp. 29-52.
- Instructor’s Manual to Accompany Environmental and Natural Resource Economics, 8th edition. (Tom Tietenberg and Lynne Lewis), Prentice Hall, 2009.
- Abolishing Environmental Regulation: Strategic Effects and Welfare Implications. (with F. Munoz-Garcia)
- Can Mandatory Certification Promote Greenwashing? A Signaling Approach. (with Dolores Garrido and F. Munoz-Garcia)
- Pollution Abatement and Disruptive R&D Investment. (with John Strandholm and Felix Munoz-Garcia)
- Anticipatory Effects of Taxation in the Commons: When do they work, and when do they fail? (with I. Duah and F. Munoz-Garcia)
- Investment in Green Technology and Entry Deterrence. (with John Strandholm)
- Organic Mergers: When are they welfare improving? (with Felix Munoz-Garcia and Aerin Jung)
- Does Ambiguity Matter for Ex Ante Regulation and Ex Post Liability? (with Casey Bolt)
- When does Disinformation Promote Successful Treaties? (with Felix Munoz-Garcia)
- Unilateral and Bilateral Signaling in Environmental Negotiations. (with Felix Munoz-Garcia)
- The effect of Parental Leave on Female Employment: evidence from state policies (with Sunita Mondal)
- Economic Inquiry, Co-Editor 2018-
- PLOS ONE, Editorial Board 2019-
- 2017-18 Fulbright U.S. Scholar Grant.
- The Sylvia Lane Mentor Fellowship. AAEA Foundation, 2010
- Second Place in Research Medal Award of the Global Development Network (sponsored by International Development Research Center, Canada (IDRC) and the World Bank) with the paper “Free-riding and Cooperation in Environmental Games.” Kuwait, February 2009.
- Nominated Outstanding Mentor, Women and Leadership Forum, WSU, 2009.
- Junta de Andalucía Research Fellowship, Spain. Summer 2009.
- Arts & Sciences Research Fellowship, University of Pittsburgh, Summer and Fall 2007.
- Moyer, M. (PI), W. Mahaffee, A. Espinola-Arredondo (Co-PI), T. Miles, R. Naegele, R. Stoll, P. Brannen, M. Cooper, M. Lewis- Ivey, I. Stergiopoulos. “Fungicide Resistance Assessment, Mitigation and Extension Network for Wine, Table and Raisin Grapes (FRAME).” The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture. $2.4 million. September 2018.
- Yoder, J., C. R. Shumway, P. Wandschneider, D. Young, H. Chouinard, A. Espinola-Arredondo, S. Galinato, C. Frear, D. Holland, E. Jessup, J. LaFrance, K. Lyons, M. McCullough, K. Painter, L. Stodick. Biofuel Economics and Policy for Washington State. A Report to the Washington State Legislature and the Washington State Governor’s Office. December 2008.
- The Sylvia Lane Mentorship Fund. ($2,500)
- Washington State University:
– Microeconomic Theory I (Graduate Level), Fall 2018, Fall 2017.
– Environmental Economics (Graduate Level), Fall 2017, Fall 2016, 2015, Spring 2015, Fall 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010 and 2009.
– Master’s Microeconomic Analysis II, Spring 2018 and Fall 2018, 2016, 2015.
– Natural Resource Economics (Undergraduate Level), Fall 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009 and 2008.
– Industrial Organization (Undergraduate Level), Spring 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012 and 2011.
– Economics Capstone (Undergraduate Level), Spring 2010.
- University of Pittsburgh. Introduction to Environmental Economics, Summer 2006.
- University of Granada – Spain. Game Theory (Graduate Level), Summer 2009.